WHY I FOLLOWED MY PASSION AND WHY YOU SHOULD, TOO

WHY I FOLLOWED MY PASSION AND WHY YOU SHOULD, TOO

I’ve squeezed a lifetime into the past two months, full of ups and downs and lefts and rights and tears of both sadness and joy. On January 26th, I started a new job in San Francisco. After two weeks, I quit, upon realizing it wasn’t anything the interview implied and everything I didn’t want to be doing. So, even in this economy, I decided there was always going to be a reason to settle, so I didn’t.

I blazed through job applications and spent hours on Craigslist searching for something that might pique my interest. Upon realizing that my resumes and cover letters were ending up in the black hole of databases that may or may not find me a good match, I made a decision to take control over my job search. I was sick of feeling helpless and at the whim of every hiring manager that gave my resume a thirty second look-over before deciding if I was worthy of an interview or not.

After feeling like I was running on a hamster wheel trying to find a job that I am passionate about, I got a flash in my head on March 6th. Twittershouldhireme dot com. I would make a website to show Twitter how much I want to work for them and it would get to them organically through, what else? Twitter. The website came after I was recommended by someone to work at Twitter, after I brought cookies personally to the office, and after I sent emails detailing why I would be a good fit.

I stayed up till 6 a.m. making the site and once it was finished, I sent out one single tweet. As you all know, the site has gone viral and has inspired many people, including a few copycat sites. Word about the site caught on almost instantaneously and since then, it has been a month full of excitement, from lunch at Twitter headquarters, Fortune Magazine interviews to now a live interview on CNN.

No, I haven’t been hired at Twitter, but this experience has unlocked many more opportunities that I didn’t even think were possible. I would love to work at Twitter, but I’ve found a different direction for my passions.

I’m starting my own business called Shatterboxx Media, which is already thriving, actually. I’m doing graphic design and consulting. (Which, by the way, shameless plug, I’m available for hire!) Also, I am working as a part time contractor doing Community Management for techVenture. This all falls under the umbrella of Shatterboxx Media.

My own business would not have been possible before twittershouldhireme.com. My name is out there and I’ve built up my own credibility by doing something out of the box and attention-getting, perfect for a career in marketing/design. I didn’t wait for a company to give me a chance to prove myself; I made my own experience happen, because I was passionate.

No matter what the economic climate is, there is no reason to settle when it comes to what you’re passionate about. You may think you have to stay at a dead end job or you have to take a job you’ll never love, but you have choices. Believe me, I’m a 23 year old who is one year out of college, about to build my own business, which I already see thriving.

I took chances. I stood out. I didn’t wait; I made things happen. I was waiting though, before I started the site - when I was sending out ten resumes a day and staring at my phone, hoping at least someone would call me in for an interview.

It’s time for you to follow your passion. Stop making excuses. I know what it’s like to make excuses and when you stop making them, your head hits the pillow at night soundly, without having that itching pang of all the dreams you’re not going for swirling around in your head.

I know the media has got us all down, but we need to lift ourselves up again. We need to see the hope throughout the dreary climate. We need to band together and find new ways to follow our passions. We need to realize that there will always be a reason to settle and we can’t let it happen. We can’t let ourselves give up. We are all in this together, capable of greatness, and deserving of a life of passion.

Now, go. Build something great.



-This is a follow up on young professional Jamie Varon and her site TwitterShouldHireMe.com


No comments:

Post a Comment